Why We’re Thankful for German Shepherds, Labs, Boxers and Other Beloved Dog Breeds
Adopting a grateful attitude doesn’t just make you more pleasant to be around — it has been scientifically proven to improve your quality of life, according to Forbes. And according to us, that’s all the more reason to spend a little time reflecting on how thankful we are to have dogs in our lives.
As a matter of fact, the list of ways in which gratitude is said to make one’s life better corresponds pretty closely with many ways in which dogs do just that. Opening doors to relationships? Check. Improving physical and psychological health? Check and check!
That got us thinking about some of the specific things we’re so grateful for in a few of our favorite dog breeds. In the hope of spurring you to do the same, we’re sharing a few reasons we’re thankful to have these canine companions in our lives.
7 Reasons We’re Thankful for a Few of Our Favorite Dog Breeds
1. We’re thankful for German Shepherds because they remind us that we don’t have to settle for being just one thing. This breed has taken on just about every kind of job available to canine-kind — police dog, movie star, guide dog, you name it — and is a beloved family dog, too. If he can be anything he sets his mind to, so can we!
2. Why are we thankful for Boxers? Easy: It’s because they always make us laugh. This mischievous breed is often known for clowning around, which can surprise people who are more familiar with her wrinkled face, square jaw and jaunty walk than her personality. She might look noble, but she’s typically willing to play and be goofy at a moment’s notice.
3. Speaking of goofy, we’d be remiss if we didn’t mention Labrador Retrievers in our list of breeds we’re thankful to have around! We’re thankful for this breed’s seemingly boundless energy. It’s not only entertaining to watch him chase tennis ball after tennis ball, but his enthusiasm for activity can help keep his humans on their toes and in better physical shape.
4. Another exuberant breed, the Golden Retriever, deserves a mention here because, boy, are we ever thankful for her friendly temperament! She approaches most things in life with optimism and a smile, which is something most of us could stand to have a little more of in our lives, wouldn’t you say?
5. Let’s not forget to give thanks for Pit Bulls. This muscular breed with a powerful jaw has gotten a bad rap, but if you’ve ever had the opportunity to snuggle or play with a sweet Pitty, you know that, when properly socialized, this is a dog that can melt even the hardest of hearts. We all know better than to judge a book by its cover, but we’re grateful that the Pit Bull provides us with a real-life example of why that’s so important.
6. Pugs deserve our thanks as well, because who else can do such a good job of forcing us to slow down, take a few breaths and just enjoy being in the moment? Of course, with his short legs and smooshed face, taking things somewhat slowly and breathing deeply aren’t things a Pug has too much choice about, but we love the fact that he gets us to stop and smell the proverbial roses just the same.
7. Naturally, we’ve got to include the good ol’ mixed breed dog in our list! Why, you ask? Well, we’ve got a whole slew of reasons to love mutts, but if we had to pick one reason we’re thankful for mixed breed dogs — or any dogs, for that matter — we’d have to go with the fact that they show us what true love looks like day after day. Who wouldn’t be grateful to have that kind of love in his or her life?
Do you have a favorite breed? If so, why are you most thankful for that breed?
More on Vetstreet: