Click here to learn more.
A. You are. Alcoholic beverages are toxic to pets — and, of course, to people, too.
Check out what could happen to the dog who gets an overdose: vomiting, diarrhea, decreased coordination, central nervous system depression, difficulty breathing, tremors, abnormal blood acidity, coma and death. Those are the symptoms the ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center warns of for pets. But doesn’t it also sound like the tragic details of a news story in the aftermath of a college hazing incident?
And remember: The toxicity of alcohol is heavily dependent on body weight — and pets weigh a lot less than people do, which means that it takes a lot less alcohol to make them dangerously sick.
Beer, wine and other products with alcohol are called “adult beverages” for a reason. Your boyfriend needs to grow up and behave responsibly with regard to their use. That can start with not sharing beer with his dog. It won’t be funny when he has to deal with a bill from the emergency veterinary clinic — or a dead dog.
And by the way, marijuana is off-limits, too, as are a variety of other substances.
Like this article? Have a point of view to share? Let us know!
Thank you for subscribing to Petwire. Look for the latest newsletter each Wednesday.
The nation was captivated by two Arizona
llamas on the run who led police on a
nearly three-hour chase on Thursday.
Cats and dogs shouldn't have bad breath
or swollen gums. Find out how to tell if
your animal has dental disease.
Here are 6 critical things to do before you
take one on, like examining your finances
and deciding if you’re…
We asked an expert for advice on what to do if your animal gets the parasites and how to prevent them from coming back.
Thanks to his webbed feet, the Spanish
Water Dog has a knack for swimming,
boating and playing in water.
If the video doesn't start playing momentarily,
please install the latest version of Flash.
Thank you for subscribing.