Will My Dog Get Sick If He Eats Bugs?

Burns and Venom

Asian lady beetles may look harmless, but they can cause severe chemical burns in a dog’s mouth and gastrointestinal tract if eaten. In one case, 16 of the beetles became embedded in a dog’s palate and had to be removed by hand. Another dog died after ingesting several dozen of them.

Caterpillars seem innocuous as well, but they can be big trouble on a number of fronts. Monarch butterfly caterpillars feed on milkweed, which contains cardiac glycoside poisons that can affect dogs who ingest the pretty striped butterfly larvae.


Some caterpillars are known to sting or inject venom. They include the saddleback caterpillar, notable for its pair of horns with spines; the monkey slug caterpillar, which has stinging hairs and frequents orchards; and the cottony-looking puss moth caterpillar, which looks soft but has venomous spines that are extremely painful on contact.

Dogs who ingest venomous spiders, such as black widows or brown recluses, can become seriously ill or die if the eight-legged predators bite them back. Bees or wasps may sting the mouth, causing pain and swelling.


Large flying insects, such as tarantula hawks, are often attractive to dogs with an interest in birds, but don’t let your playful Spaniel or other bird dog go after one. These spiderlike wasps hunt tarantulas — hence their name — and their sting is among the most painful of any insect.

Parasite Load

Some bugs carry parasites: Your dog can pick up stomach worms from eating beetles, cockroaches and crickets, and ingesting fleas can lead to tapeworm infections.

A tendency to eat bugs is one good reason to keep your dog on parasite prevention year-round. If you’re bugged by your dog’s snack habits, keep insects at bay by mowing and raking your lawn regularly to reduce leaf litter and other debris.


More on Vetstreet:


Google+

Join the Conversation

Like this article? Have a point of view to share? Let us know!