Click here to learn more.
When a normally well-behaved dog starts having “accidents” in the house, something is up. You might feel that your dog is punishing you for something or is just being difficult, but well-behaved dogs don’t suddenly urinate in the house without a reason. It’s your job to play pet detective to discover what is causing the behavior change.
Here’s a rundown of common reasons for a dog to suddenly start house soiling:
1. Changes in the family. A child leaving for college, a birth or death, or a divorce can cause distress in many dogs.
2. Home renovations. Remodeling the house, especially with workmen coming and going, can lead to house-training problems. Even a new carpet with different smells can cause some dogs to leave their scent by urinating on it.
3. Deviations in the daily household routine. Dogs feel secure when the family sticks to the daily schedule. If the dog is used to relieving himself at specific times during the day and his schedule is changed, he might have a hard time coping with it. When possible, make changes slowly so the dog can adjust.
4. Feeling stressed or overly excited. Some dogs will leak small amounts of urine when overly excited, fearful, or stressed — it’s called submissive urination. Although more common in puppies, some adult dogs will also do this. It’s most often seen when a person is greeting the puppy or dog.
5. Hormone incontinence. Spayed, middle-aged or senior female dogs might become incontinent due to a lack of estrogen. Estrogen helps maintain muscle tone of the urethral sphincter.
6. Age-related diseases. Kidney disease, cognitive dysfunction syndrome and other conditions affecting senior and geriatric dogs can cause them to urinate more frequently or become incontinent.
7. Other health problems. Infections, tumors, spinal cord injuries, kidney disease and problems with the bladder can cause incontinence in dogs of any age and can lead to house-training accidents. Diseases that cause increased drinking, such as diabetes, may result in increased urination and accidents.
8. Side effects of medications. Some drugs can cause the dog to relieve himself more often and trigger house-training accidents. Talk to your veterinarian about any possible side effects related to the medicine.
If none of these scenarios has occurred and you still can’t pinpoint the reason, it’s time to act like a detective and gather clues. Jot down the answers to these questions:
Once you’ve gathered specific details, it’s time to consult your veterinarian and have your dog given a thorough physical exam. If medical reasons have been ruled out, work with a professional dog trainer or behaviorist to identify the cause so that you can take the right corrective actions.
Finally, whatever you do, don’t punish your dog out of frustration. Don’t yell, spank or rub your dog’s nose in the mess. Not only will it not work, it may cause the dog to urinate behind the sofa or other hidden places, making your detecting job all the more difficult.
Like this article? Have a point of view to share? Let us know!
Thank you for subscribing to Petwire. Look for the latest newsletter each Wednesday.
Senior Draven Rodriguez reached a
compromise with his school about the
laser-cat yearbook portrait that went viral.
Firefighters used a tiny oxygen mask to
revive a family of hamsters who passed
out in their cages during a house…
In this funny viral video, a confused dog
refuses to go through an open doorway
because he thinks the door is closed.
Interactive games and doggie play dates
are a few ways to help keep your aging
pup feel and act as young as…
These lovable dogs are affectionate with
their families, good with children and wary
of strangers when they need to…
Dr. Patty Khuly thinks adopting a geriatric
cat or dog is the very best thing you can
do if you truly love animals.
A Belgian Malinois set a new world record
at the Purina Pro Plan Incredible Dog
Challenge National Finals this…
The gentle Persian, who's the most popular pedigreed cat in North America, is happiest when she’s gazing up at you.
If the video doesn't start playing momentarily,
please install the latest version of Flash.
Thank you for subscribing.