Video: Dangers That Threaten Dogs on the Hiking Trail
Are you ready to go for a hike with your canine companion? Before you head out, take some time to learn about the most common hiking dangers you and your dog are likely to encounter — and how to avoid trouble on the trail.
While you’re getting ready for your trip, make sure your dog is up-to-date on her parasite preventive to help protect against fleas, ticks, heartworms and more. Remember, ticks can transmit a number of pathogens that can lead to Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain spotted fever and anaplasmosis, to name just a few.
And before you go, make sure you know the location and phone number of the nearest veterinary emergency clinic, just in case. Check out the video below for more tips from Dr. Sarah Wooten on hiking-related dangers and how to prepare for them.
Interested in the Ruffwear products featured in this video? You can purchase them:
Orange Approach Pack, $79.95.
Summit Trex Dog Boots, $59.95.
More on Vetstreet:
- Video: Choose the Right Place to Camp With Your Dog
- Tips to Prevent 4 Common Pet Emergencies
- First Aid Kits for Dogs: Supplies You Should Pack
- What to Consider When Buying Your Dog a Life Jacket
- Proper Poop Disposal: How to Protect People and the Environment