6 Best Halloween Dog Toys for Spooky Fun
As much fun as Halloween is for humans, it can sometimes be a bit harder for dogs to enjoy the most frightful night of the year.
The constant sound of the doorbell or little ghosts and goblins on the doorstep may send some dogs into a frenzy. And even if your pup will tolerate an adorable dog-friendly costume and trick-or-treating, most — but not all! — Halloween treats are off-limits to dogs.
Still, Halloween doesn’t have to be a big boo-hoo for your canine buddy. More and more pet companies are getting in on the Halloween craze with fun, howl-iday themed dog toys.
Now that’s a treat any dog would love. So here’s a list of our favorite Halloween toys for the dog in your life. Consider picking one (or more) up this season…especially if you’re planning on putting your pup through a costumed photo session!
Our Top Halloween Dog Toy Picks for Your Pup
According to the National Retail Federation (NRF), consumer spending on Halloween items is expected to hit an all-time high this year, and pet-related products are no exception. The NRF reported that one in five pet parents plan to dress their dog or cat up in a costume, and we’ve seen an increase in Haloween-themed toys and accessories for pets, as well.
While Halloween isn’t typically a gift-giving occasion, once we saw the frightfully fun array of dog toys on the market, we couldn’t resist rounding up some of our favorites.
Of course, half the fun of giving your dog a toy is shopping for one. But if you don’t want to dart in and out of stores or just prefer to shop online, here are six great toys your pup will love for Halloween…no tricks, all treats!
All featured products are chosen at the discretion of the author. However, Vetstreet may make a small affiliate commission if you click through and make a purchase.
- Best Overall Dog Halloween Toy: Howling Haunts Collection
- Best Halloween Dog Toy for Small Dogs: Halloween Burrow Haunted Carriage
- Best Halloween Dog Toy for Large Dogs: Midlee Pumpkin Find a Toy Halloween Dog Toy
- Best Halloween Dog Toy for Chewers: West Paw’s Orange Toppl
- Best Squeaky Halloween Dog Toy: KONG Halloween Wubba Ballistic Pumpkin Dog Toy
- Best Enrichment Halloween Dog Toy: Sodapup’s Zombie Design Emat Enrichment Lick Mat
How We Chose Our Top Halloween Dog Toys
Every dog is different. And, ultimately, you know what types of toys your dog might enjoy the most. But we put a lot of thought and consideration into the dog toys that made out list.
Over the years, we’ve shared our home with numerous dogs, including smaller breeds, larger breeds, dogs with health issues and noise phobia, and those who are anxious. We also have experience volunteering with an animal shelter, which is akin to having a built-in focus group when it comes to figuring out what toys work best for different types of dogs.
Finally, we consulted with certified dog trainer Amber Walker (KPA CTP) and, of course, considered each brand’s reputation, price points, and customer reviews when making our picks for your pup.
6 Halloween Dog Toys That Are Scary Good Fun
Whether you’re shopping for an everyday dog toy or treating your dog to something special for Halloween, Walker suggests keeping the following considerations in mind. “The dog’s age, size, personal preference, and if the dog is a chewer or not are some of the first things to think about,” she says.
Walker adds that you always need to ask yourself whether a toy is safe enough for your dog. Think about the size of the toy versus the size of your dog, durability of the toy versus the dog’s chewing power, and your dog’s propensity to eating things like stuffing and squeakers.
With that in mind, here are the six toys to make your dog’s Halloween even more entertaining:
Best Overall Dog Halloween Toy
Our pick: Howling Haunts Collection
Why treat your pup to just one Halloween dog toy, when this spooktacular gift set contains five fun toys just oozing with creepy-cute charm? Each stuffed toy features hand-made craftsmanship, double layer exterior, and double-stitched edges for extra durability. Many happy customers seem to love the cartoonish dagger toy, while others appreciate that the cauldron and tombstone double as puzzle toys when you tuck a tasty treat inside. All the toys are made with eco-friendly azo-free dyes and filler material made from certified-safe recycled plastic bottles.
While this set is pricier than you’d expect to pay for a simple dog toy, you’re getting a lot of bang for your buck. And the set comes in a deluxe gift box!.
- Set features stuffed fangs, knife, cauldron, tombstone, and candy corn
- Toys have sliding parts, crinkle and squeaker sounds, hidden pockets, glow-in-the-dark accents
- Everything is machine washable
- Eco-friendly materials mean it’s fun for your pup, good for the planet
- Rated 5 out of 5 paws
Things to Consider
- A bit pricey for a holiday-specific toy, but the quality will last long after Halloween is over
- May not be appropriate for aggressive chewers
Best Halloween Dog Toy for Small Dogs
Our pick: Halloween Burrow Haunted Carriage
Could a Halloween dog toy get any cuter? Doubtful. You pup not only gets the haunted carriage but also its three otherworldly mates — a pair of spooky horses and one skeleton. All the elements in this four-piece plush toy set are the perfect size for small mouths. As a bonus, the mini figures squeak, making this the perfect interactive toy to engage your dog. Stuff the small toys into the carriage so your dog can find them and work them free for mental stimulation. A spooky boredom buster in any season.
- Perfect size for small dogs
- Interactive toy provides mental stimulation
- All parts are machine washable
Things to Consider
- This isn’t the best option for dogs who shred their toys in seconds
- Small parts may be easier to “lose” in your home
Best Halloween Dog Toy for Large Dogs
If you’re sensing a theme here, that’s because we love toys that challenge the brain…and dogs do, too! If you’ve got a large dog, this Halloween dog toy will be a perfect fit. The oversized plush pumpkin is a fun toy for tossing and fetching. But this gourd is a gift that keeps on giving, because it comes with three additional plush toys — a plush ghost, bat, and candy corn. Stuff them into the pumpkin for your dog to find or play with them individually. The ghost and bat have squeakers while the candy contains crinkle paper, adding yet another element of stimulation for your dog.
- At 10” x 9” the oversized pumpkin is great for large dogs
- Squeakers, crinkle paper, and interactive elements providence plenty of engagement
- Store the toys inside and it doubles as Halloween decor
- 4.7 out of 5 star rating on Amazon
Things to Consider
- The toys aren’t connected to the pumpkin so you may have missing pieces.
- Dogs who shred their toys may not be good candidates for this one.
Best Halloween Dog Toy for Chewers
Our pick: West Paw’s Orange Toppl
If your dog tends to shred plush toys like some sort of canine Michael Myers, this extra durable dog toy is a must! Though it doesn’t scream Halloween, this brain-challenging puzzle toy and treat dispenser from West Paw comes in a festive holiday-appropriate orange hue, which is great if you want to splurge on a treat that’s fun all year through. Made from Zogoflex, the company’s eco-friendly, non-toxic and “nearly indestructible” material, this toy is ideal for dogs who like to chew. Load it with treats and the rounded prongs inside the Toppl will hold them in place while your dog rolls, nudges, bats, or gnaws the toy until they come out. The toy also bounces if you want to play a little fetch. Plus, it’s available in multiple sizes, which you can link together to make the puzzle even more challenging.
- Available in three sizes: small (2.5″ x 3″), large (3.5″ x 4″) and XL (3.75″ x 4.75″)
- Push different sized Toppl toys together for more stimulating challenge
- Dishwasher-safe for easy cleaning
- Made from eco-friendly, recyclable, non-toxic material that stands up to moderate chewing (ours has lasted years!)
Things to Consider
- More of a subtle nod to the season than an over-the-top Halloween toy
- You’ll need to spend more if you want to connect the toys for a more challenging puzzle
Best Squeaky Halloween Dog Toy
Let the “gourd” times roll with this festive find from KONG! This jack-o-lantern-themed toy in the iconic Wubba style features a ball shape with enclosed squeaker, floppy tails that are fun to thrash, and a reinforced nylon exterior. Made without stuffing to minimize mess, it’s perfect for tossing, tugging, fetching and more, but note that the company says it’s not intended for chew sessions.
- Great for both solo play or bonding with your dog
- Features an internal squeaker
- Fits easily in most dogs’ mouths
Things to Consider
- Not meant to be a chewing toy
Best Enrichment Halloween Dog Toy
Need something to keep your pup occupied and calm when trick-or-treaters are at the door? You can never go wrong with a lick mat, and SodaPup makes some of the best on the market. Slather anything you want in the lick mat – peanut butter, cream cheese, or wet dog food, for instance – and it will engage your dog for hours. The mat comes in orange and black and features fun Halloween designs that your dog will have to maneuver to get the food out. Best part? You can toss it in the top rack of your dishwasher to get it squeaky clean without a lot of hassle.
- Helps ease your dog’s anxiety on Halloween
- Works with endless combinations of food and treats
- Promotes fresh breath, healthy teeth and gums
- Easy to clean in your dishwasher (top rack)
Things to Consider
- May not work well in multi-dog households, if your pup is a food guarder
- Not a chew toy; remove if damaged
Dog Halloween Toys: FAQ & Buyer’s Guide
What materials are best for durability and safety?
Materials do matter, especially when it comes to toys that are harder in nature. “I prefer something rubbery or silicone that has a little give to it instead of bones or plastic,” Walker says. “Hard toys like plastic aren’t bad but can be detrimental to teeth and gum health.”
If your dog is a heavy chewer, even if you choose a toy specifically designed for chewing durability, always monitor your dogs mouth for signs of injury.
Should you monitor a dog with a new toy?
According to Walker, the answer is a clear yes. “You should always supervise or be nearby and never give a brand new toy without full supervision,” she notes.
Do size and shape matter?
Shape isn’t particularly important, but size is. Be sure to buy the right size toy for your dog’s overall and mouth size. “If it’s too big, it can get stuck in your dog’s mouth, but if it’s too small, it can be a choking hazard,” Walker says.
Above all, don’t be tempted by dog toys that are low-priced because they are low quality. Though Halloween is just one day, and it may be hard to justify spending money on a toy that will soon be “outof season,” it’s always a good idea to pay a little more for a toy made by a pet manufacturer you trust.
After all, you wouldn’t dress your dog up in a costume that could harm them. So the same goes for Halloween dog toys. And, if it makes you feel any better, dogs don’t care about whether a toy is in-season…as long as it’s fun!