Click here to learn more.
Vetstreet. All rights reserved.
Vetstreet does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. See Additional Information ›
The United States just became a safer place for our pets — or at least it will in time. This past December the Consumer Specialty Products Association and Humane Society Legislative Fund announced that antifreeze manufacturers throughout the United States have finally agreed to voluntarily add a bitter flavoring agent to their normally sweet-tasting products, rendering them less enticing to pets (and children).
This voluntary measure will include all antifreeze and engine coolant products manufactured for sale in the consumer market in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.
Antifreeze toxicity is a horrible thing to witness. Ingestion of even a small amount of ethylene glycol, the active ingredient in antifreeze, causes acute kidney failure in dogs and cats along with severe neurological disease. Symptoms often include lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, weakness, and ultimately coma and/or seizures. Unfortunately, even with aggressive and expensive therapy, most patients suffering from antifreeze toxicity don’t survive. The Humane Society Legislative Fund estimates that at least 10,000 animals are victims of this toxicity every year.
Dogs are attracted to the sweet taste of antifreeze and will readily drink from a puddle that has leaked from a car’s undercarriage or has spilled from a container. Kitties are usually more discriminating when it comes to taste, but one who has stepped in antifreeze is likely to ingest some during the course of grooming. As little as a single teaspoon of the substance can be fatal for an average-sized cat.
Prior to December, antifreeze manufacturers in 17 states were already required by state law to add a bittering agent to their products. The first state to enact this measure was Oregon in 1995. Since then, multiple attempts to make this a federal requirement have failed. Fortunately, antifreeze manufacturers have now voluntarily stepped up to the plate to do the right thing. The bittering agent, denatonium benzoate, is a nontoxic substance that is commonly used as a deterrent in harmful liquids and as a treatment for nail-biting prevention in humans.
It is important to remember that the addition of a bittering agent does not render antifreeze products nontoxic for pets, although hopefully at least any pets exposed to it will consume less. There is also no way to determine whether or not the deterring agent has been added to any product that may already be in use in your neighbor’s car or in other vehicles. For both these reasons, continue to exercise extreme vigilance when it comes to potential exposure for your pets. Safely discard any unused, unbittered antifreeze and replace with a bittered product, check under your car regularly for any leakage and make sure any antifreeze containers stored at home are inaccessible to your pets.
Like this article? Have a point of view to share? Let us know!
Thank you for subscribing to Petwire. Look for the latest newsletter each Wednesday.
Purina One's camp for cat lovers includes
a "campfire" made of kibble, cat-friendly
yoga, 20 adoptable…
These adorable dogs and cats were lucky
enough to be welcomed into loving
forever families — and they know it.
Bringing home a new cat? Follow Mikkel
Becker's checklist to ensure your house
is safe and welcoming for your…
Could your feline use a little more daily
exercise? Here are some simple ways to
get him moving that won’t break…
Wonder which dog or cat best fits your
lifestyle? Our new tool will narrow down
more than 300 breeds for you.
No one wants his best friend to be sick in the car. Dr. Andy Roark (literally) reveals the many signs of motion…
The Lagotto Romagnolo was bred to seek
out truffles, the fungi highly prized by
chefs, thanks to his keen sense of…
Take our breed quiz to find your next pet.
If the video doesn't start playing momentarily,
please install the latest version of Flash.
Thank you for subscribing.