At-Home Pet Dangers to Beware Over the Winter Holidays

Home for the Holidays

There are few silent nights with holiday guests constantly coming and going. Although many pets enjoy the added attention and activity, the noise associated with gatherings can make some animals anxious. “Pets tend to become accustomed to a certain routine. Any disruption can be stressful for some pets,” Dr. Todd explains.

For that reason, give your pet a quiet area where it’s possible for him to take a nap or hide safely. A pet’s natural curiosity may draw him out when he is ready to participate in the festivities. And make sure you brief anyguests on the rules for your pet, including his diet (no table scraps!) and habits. Let guests know that it is OK to show the pet attention, but that it should be on the pet’s terms. Also, visiting children should be supervised when handling an animal.

Let It Snow!

The weather outside can be frightful, and pet owners who are staving off the cold during the holiday season should be watchful of certain hazards while their pets are enjoying the great outdoors:

  • Antifreezes can contain certain chemicals that are highly toxic to animals if swallowed; pets may lick the sweet-tasting chemical from surfaces or during self-grooming. Pet-friendly alternatives (containing propylene glycol) are available.
  • Dehydration can still occur during the cold and wet weather. Pet parents should remember to keep their pets properly hydrated with fresh, clean water —especially after outdoor exercise.
  • Extreme weather conditions may be hazardous if a pet is exposed for long periods. In addition, cold weather can intensify arthritis discomfort in older and overweight pets.
  • Ice can be dangerous for a variety of reasons. Pets can fall through thin ice or slip on icy surfaces. In addition, sharp ice can cut the pads of a pet’s feet, so always check and brush off the pads after a pet has spent time outside.

Do You Hear What I Hear?

Pet owners should be aware of what ASPCA experts are calling the top dangers for pets during the holiday season:

  • Antifreeze — Some formulas contain hazardous chemicals that can be poisonous to pets if ingested, either directly or by grooming residue from their paws or coat.
  • Christmas tree water — Bacteria in standing water, as well as tree food added to the water, can result in severe gastrointestinal irritation if ingested.
  • Confetti and balloons — These colorful decorations pose a choking hazard and may cause internal distress if swallowed.
  • Dough — Uncooked dough with yeast will still rise if ingested, which may cause severe bloating, pain, vomiting and other complications.
  • Electric cords — Exposed wiring in chewed or worn cords can cause electric shock; decorated trees with string lighting or extension cords may topple if animals become entangled.
  • Fatty foods — A diet that is overly rich in fats may result in gastrointestinal irritation or, in severe cases, pancreatitis.
  • Holiday plants — Poinsettias generally cause only mild stomach irritation, but other plants (e.g., holly, lilies, mistletoe) are highly toxic and may cause kidney failure or other severe damage.
  • Ornaments — Glass ornaments and metal hooks may look like shiny toys to playful pets, but they can cause serious damage if broken or ingested.
  • Table scrap bones — Bones from your holiday feast canfractureteeth or cause mouth injuries,intestinal damage or obstruction.
  • Tinsel, ribbon and yarn — Never let pets play with decorations that contain string. String can cause severe internal trauma if swallowed, or choking if it becomes tangled around a pet’s neck.

Naughty or Nice?

If you're thinking of adopting a new pet during the holidays, you may want to think again. A house full of noise, decorations and guests may not be the ideal conditions for an untrained pet. In addition, the stress of the season may not allow owners to dedicate their time to training a young pet. Waiting until after the start of the new year can allow new pet parents to devote the proper care and training to their newest family member.

As for giving a pet as a gift, it is not always a good idea. Veterinary technician Dana Farbman of the ASPCA says, “Adding a pet to a home should be a family decision. Animals are not inanimate objects” that can be returned after the initial excitement has passed. Everyone in the household should be able and willing to take care of an animal.

If you would like to help bring the joy of a new pet into a family, you can put together an adoption kit as a gift. Staples to include are a leash, collar and food dish. Just be sure that the entire family has first discussed and agreed on the responsibilities of pet ownership. After the holidays have passed and the home is pet-ready, new owners can go together to adopt a puppy or kitten.

More on Vetstreet.com:

Join the Conversation

Like this article? Have a point of view to share? Let us know!