Solid Gold Dog Food Review: Nutrientboost for a Healthy Hound
Health food is by no means a new concept for humans. But we’re always finding new ways to eat healthier, based on the latest breakthroughs in food and nutrition. In recent years, many pet food manufacturers have started leaning into this healthy trend, too.
But they’ll have a long way to go to catch up to Solid Gold dog food, made by a company that has been pioneering high-quality health food for pets for decades. And that includes the brand’s newest innovation, Nutrientboost.
I got the chance to test out Solid Gold’s natural, nutritious, plasma-powered Nutrientboost formula on my pup, Wally. So I decided to dig in and learn all about this holistic pet health food brand. Here, you can find out what we both thought of Nutrientboost and discover how Sold Gold shaped the world of natural nutrition for dogs.
The Scoop on Solid Gold Dog Food
Solid Gold dog food was invented nearly 50 years ago by Sissy Harrington McGill, a longtime breeder of champion Great Danes. While traveling to Europe to purchase a dog with world-champion bloodlines, she noticed the Great Danes she saw in Germany lived longer, healthier lives than those in America.
McGill suspected that the dramatic difference was due to the higher-quality diets European dogs enjoyed. And she wanted the same for her pets. So she launched what would become the flagship of the Solid Gold brand in 1974 — a real meat and whole grain dry dog food formula she named Hund-N-Flocken — loosely translated, German for “dog flakes.”
Nearly a half-century later, Solid Gold remains a driving force in the world of holistic pet nutrition, offering a broad range of pet food for both dogs and cats. Every formula is made with premium natural ingredients and a focus on promoting digestive health, which the brand cites as the key to a healthy immune system and overall well-being.
What is Nutrientboost?
All featured products are chosen at the discretion of the author. However, Vetstreet may make a small affiliate commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Nutrientboost is the latest in Solid Gold’s long line of high-quality, high-protein pet food recipes, and this one comes with an innovative twist. Nutrientboost formulas are “powered by plasma” — a natural, nutrient-rich liquid derived from animal protein, which helps boost immunity and overall gut health in dogs and cats.
Plasma is a blood by-product — essentially the fluid that carries red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets throughout the body of all animals. When blood cells and platelets are removed from the blood, plasma is what remains, along with plenty of health-boosting essential minerals, amino acids, antibodies, and vital proteins.
While all meat contains some plasma, Nutrientboost formulas contain both animal proteins and added plasma, for an extra boost of beneficial nutrients in every bite.
Benefits of Plasma-Powered Nutrition
Like all Solid Gold formulas, Nutrientboost offers a well-balanced, protein-rich diet crafted of premium ingredients. But with the addition of plasma, your dog gets even more out of their meal.
Here’s how that works: When dogs suffer intestinal inflammation (which can happen for many reasons ranging from illness and stress to a poor diet), their immune systems kick in. And this immune response can divert key nutrients your dog needs to thrive, leaving them vulnerable to a host of health and nutritional woes.
The extra plasma in Nutrientboost formulas provides:
- Vital proteins, including albumin and globulin, help reduce gut inflammation and promote the absorption of key nutrients.
- Antibodies fortify the immune system against harmful bacteria and balance the gut microbiome.
- Amino acids help repair damage and maintain healthy bodily functions.
- High palatability and digestibility, so you can be sure your pup is getting the biggest nutritional benefit out of every morsel.
Nutrientboost: Solid Gold Dog Food Formulas
The Solid Gold dog food powered by Nutrientboost is currently available in a variety of formats for cats and dogs. For this review, we chose from the Nutrientboost dry dog food formulas, which come in some of Solid Gold’s most popular kibble options:
- Solid Gold’s flagship recipe
- Everyday Nutrition formula designed to meet the day-to-day needs of most dogs
- Healthy whole grain mix is available as a dry kibble in three flavor options:
- Chicken, Brown Rice & Pearled Barley Recipe
- Beef, Brown Rice & Pearled Barley Recipe
- Lamb, Brown Rice & Pearled Barley Recipe
Nutrientboost Barking at the Moon
- High Protein, grain-free formula designed to support dogs with an active lifestyle.
- Available in one flavor option: Beef, Egg & Pea Recipe
- For all life stages except large breed puppies
Nutrientboost Leaping Waters
- Sensitive Stomach formula made with a single source of protein for dogs with food sensitivities
- Available in one flavor option: Cold Water Salmon & Vegetable Recipe
- Grain free and gluten free
Nutrientboost Love at First Bark
- Puppy formula made with lean meat, plus DHA for cognitive development
- Available in one flavor option: Chicken, Potato & Apple Recipe
- Perfect for puppies with moderate activity levels
- Large Breed formula designed to support lean muscle growth with premium protein, healthy fats, and whole grains
- Available in one flavor option: Bison, Brown Rice & Sweet Potato Recipe
Nutrientboost Wolf Cub
- Large Breed Puppy formula with controlled calcium for healthy bone development
- Available in one flavor option: Bison, Oatmeal & Pearled Barley Recipe
- Toy & Small Breed formula designed to suit smaller stomachs
- Available in one flavor option: Chicken, Chickpea & Pumpkin Recipe
- Grain free and gluten free
In addition to kibble blends, Nutrientboost is also available as a moist meal topper, so pet parents can add plasma-powered nutrition to any dry dog food diet.
Putting Nutrientboost Holistic Dog Food to the Test
Over the course of a two-week trial period, we decided to put Nutrientboost to the test with our very own rescue dog, Wally, to judge the benefits for ourselves.
Wally is already accustomed to a kibble-based diet and doesn’t have any special dietary needs, so we opted for Solid Gold’s tried-and-true Everyday Nutrition formula, Hund-N-Flocken.
I chose the Chicken, Brown Rice & Pearled Barley Recipe because it was most similar to Wally’s current kibble diet. And, because Wally’s a very good boy who deserves a special treat now and then, we went all out and ordered the Nutrientboost meal topper, as well.
We actually started our trial with the meal topper, which we added to Wally’s regular kibble according to the feeding guidelines — about two tablespoons per cup of dry food. After a few such meals, we gradually started replacing portions of his regular kibble with the Nutrientboost dry formula, until Wally was eating an entire bowlful of just Solid Gold.
As with all dog food changes, it’s a good idea to consult with your veterinarian about the proper transition schedule for your pet and go slowly to avoid digestive upset. However, Wally didn’t have any issues adjusting to his new menu.
While this could be because the Nutrientboost formula was pretty similar in texture and general flavor to his previous kibble, we did notice one big change — Wally didn’t miss a beat when it came to finishing his bowl at each meal!
Though Wally always looks forward to mealtime, he definitely enjoyed his Nutrientboost upgrade. And while our trial period wasn’t all that long, we did notice some distinct improvements.
For one, Wally’s energy was up throughout the trial period. He seemed a lot more playful and hyped up during his outside time and when interacting with family members at home.
We also noticed that his digestion and bowel movements seemed a bit more regular. He typically ”goes” once a day or every other day. But he was pooping regularly twice a day while eating a Nutrientboost diet.
We kept an eye out for signs of other benefits associated with Nutrientboost, such as improved immunity or healthier skin and coat. But because our trial period was limited, it was tough to discern whether Wally was enjoying these benefits. (Unlike the highly-palatable formula, which he clearly enjoyed!)
What we Liked:
- Premium dog food that’s easy to store and serve. There are plenty of fresh or frozen dog foods out there promising premium quality and health benefits. But nothing beats kibble when it comes to convenience. Nutrientboost packs all the benefits of premium formulas into a shelf-stable 24-pound bag of quality kibble made from real ingredients. All pet parents really need to do is utilize their existing storage and determine the right quantity of food, using the feeding guidelines.
- Simple, straightforward product portfolio. Some dog food manufacturers offer so many choices, it can be hard to find the right one for your pet. We found Solid Gold’s streamlined formula offerings easy to understand. Once you find the right “type” of Nutrientboost formula (e.g., Everyday Nutrition, Large Breed, etc.) it’s simple to choose which product will be best for your dog.
- Seamless transition. As a dry dog food, Nutrientboost was relatively easy to switch to. We noticed no stomach upset, which is always a concern when switching to a new food.
Things to Consider:
- May take some time to see full benefits. While we definitely witnessed some tangible benefits from switching Wally to a Nutrientboost diet, some claims may take longer than two weeks to detect.
Nutrientboost: Our Verdict on This Solid Gold Dog Food
Solid Gold’s Nutrientboost dog food featuring animal plasma offers pet parents an innovative nutritional solution in a conveniently familiar dry kibble format. The food is easy to order, easy to serve, and easy to store at home. With a range of formulas that are all AAFCO certified, Solid Gold provides a solid option for pet parents looking for immunity-boosting holistic dog food that won’t break the bank.
While we started Wally on this food as a trial, it’s a product we’d definitely consider sticking with moving forward!