Why Does My Dog… Eat Poop?
Dog eats poop. Pet owner gags. Dog eats poop again. Pet owner runs screaming from the room.
Yes, it’s disgusting. Yes, it’s potentially unhealthy. And, yes, it’s fairly common in the animal world.
A pup will eat his own poop for a number of reasons:
- He thinks it smells and tastes good. (Dogs are notoriously poor arbiters of taste.)
- He’s hungry.
- He may be missing key nutrients in his diet or suffer malabsorption.
- He likes to keep his territory or bedding clean.
- He has fun playing with it. (This is especially true for dogs that are mouthy.)
- He’s bored.
- He knows that removing the evidence means no punishment for inappropriate elimination.
- He knows that fewer predators will give him grief if there is no physical evidence of his having been around.
More on Vetstreet.com:
- 10 Dangerous Human Foods for Pets
- Is It Safe for My Pet to Lick Lotion?
- 10 Dog Breeds That Shed the Most
- Why Does My Dog… Roll Around in Stinky Stuff?
- Pet Food Protein: Why It is Very Important for Your Cat and Dog