Leather Dog Collars: Top Picks for Comfort and Style
When it comes to dog gear, collars may seem like a fairly basic need. However, a collar is one of the most important items you’ll buy for your pup.
While on a walk, a quality, properly fitted collar ensures that your four-legged friend is comfortable and secure. Collars also carry ID tags, which can help your pup make it home safe and sound. And of course, a collar allows your pooch to express his one-of-a-kind personality and sense of style (check out our spiked dog collar roundup to see what we mean!).
Safe and fashionable collars are available in many materials. But leather dog collars are as classic as they come. Here are our top leather collar picks to suit any style.
- Best Leather Dog Collar — Overall Winner: Soft Touch Collars Leather Two-Tone Padded Dog Collar
- Best Fancy Leather Dog Collar: Gaucho Leather Goods Miami Vice Leather Dog Collar
- Best Western Leather Dog Collar: Weaver Leather Western Edge Dog Collar
- Best Braided Leather Dog Collar: Angel Pet Braided Leather Dog Collar
- Best Vibrant Color Leather Dog Collar: Logical Leather Deluxe Padded Genuine Leather Collar
- Best Leather Dog Collar With Bling: OmniPet Signature Leather Crystal Dog Collar
- Best Vegan Leather Dog Collar: FriendshipCollar Leather Dog Collar with Friendship Bracelet
Are Leather Collars Good for Dogs?
For many dogs, leather collars offer the perfect balance between form and function.
“Leather collars are popular options, and it is easy to see why,” says certified dog behaviorist and trainer Emma Bowdrey. “They’re extremely stylish, but this is actually just the added bonus.”
Bowdrey points to the following perks of leather dog collars:
Hypoallergenic: As a natural material, leather may cause less irritation for dogs with sensitive skin. “Even when they get wet, leather collars are more gentle on the skin and don’t rub as much as other materials,” says Bowdrey.
Comfortable: Soft leather is a particularly good option when leash training strong, muscular dogs who have a habit of pulling. Nylon, plastic, and chain collars can cut into a dog’s neck, leading to pain and training setbacks. “As a behaviorist, I know that this can have a physiological impact on the dog,” says Bowdrey. “If this is repeated over and over, they build up a negative association.”
Durable: You won’t have to replace a leather collar anytime soon. “It is a sturdy, steadfast material that can last as long as your energetic dog,” says Bowdrey.
Weather-Resistant: Most leather collars are treated with a waterproof wax finish. “This makes them an excellent option for an active dog come rain or shine,” says Bowdrey.
As for drawbacks, leather collars tend to be more expensive than synthetic options. Additionally, if your dog enjoys a lot of outdoor adventures, you may want to consider a machine-washable material to avoid any unpleasant smells from lingering.
What to Look For in a Leather Dog Collar
When shopping for a leather dog collar, there are a number of things to keep in mind. Louise Daigle, a certified professional dog trainer, recommends considering the following factors when selecting a collar for your companion.
Breed: Large dogs should wear wide collars, which help to evenly distribute weight and tension across the neck. “This will help to protect their trachea and all of the sensitive structures just under the skin,” says Daigle. Lightweight models are best for small dogs.
Temperament: Flat-buckle leather collars are best for calmer dogs with good leash manners. For less predictable pups, consider a martingale-style leather collar or harness, suggests Daigle.
Construction: Look for a sturdy leather collar with no stretch. “Some leather collars with a single layer can become stretchy with time,” says Daigle. “When selecting a leather collar, pick one with more than one layer of leather.”
Hardware: If your pup has long hair, avoid collars with excessive hardware than can cause snags and tangles, advises Daigle.
Last but not least, choose a stylish collar that reflects your pooch’s personality! (Don’t worry – from preppy to blingy, we have plenty of designer dog collars below.)
How We Ranked Our Top Leather Dog Collars
When researching the best leather dog collars, we considered a number of factors. The collars on our list:
- Are made from 100% pet-safe materials
- Have earned numerous positive reviews from pet parents
- Include features recommended by professional trainers and behaviorists
- Can be purchased at major pet retailers
- Are competitively priced
- Have miles of style
7 Best Leather Dog Collars
Best Leather Dog Collar: Overall Winner
If you’re in the market for a versatile, high-quality leather dog collar, look no further. Made from supple full-grain leather, this ultra-comfortable collar is padded and lined with soft sheepskin leather to prevent chafing and irritation. It’s also designed for durability, with sealed edges and rust-resistant solid brass hardware. As for style, we love the classic contrast stitching and two-tone interior. (Psst! There’s a matching leash, as well!)
- Available in sizes small through extra-large
- Padded interior
- Rust-resistant hardware
Things To Consider
- The largest sizes are extra wide to ensure a comfortable fit for bigger dogs. If your dog prefers a more lightweight collar, this one might not be for you.
Best Fancy Leather Dog Collar
This posh leather collar is an infusion of style, function, and durability. The leather is soft and flexible and not stiff like some leather collars. The Argentine-inspired design is hand-stitched with purple and teal wax threads for a posh, high-end look that doesn’t break the bank.
Available in extra-small through extra-large, dogs of every size and shape can go from sidewalk to catwalk in this unique eye-catching design.
- Wide collar ensures durability and longevity
- Leather is vegetable tanned
- The color palette looks good on every dog
Things to Consider
- Only available in black leather
- Purple and teal wax beads color is the solo choice
Best Western Leather Dog Collar
Our pick: Weaver Leather Western Edge Dog Collar
Looking for a little Western wink? There are plenty of cowboy-inspired styles out there, but we love this one for its leather legacy. Originally a family-owned shoe repair business, Weaver became well-known for their leather horse and cattle halters before expanding into the pet market.
Complete with a scalloped edge, this ornate collar is adorned with antique-finished brass studs and medallions, as well as floral embossing. Made from soft English bridle leather, it features a heavy-duty D-ring for secure handling and weather-resistant nickel-plated hardware.
- Available in 8 sizes
- Floral embossed detail
- Weather-resistant hardware
Things To Consider
- If you have an adventurous dog, this collar’s decorative hardware may trap mud and dirt.
Best Braided Leather Dog Collar
Our pick: Angel Pet Braided Leather Dog Collar
Traditionally used to make horse and cattle gear, braided leather adds a rustic, Western sensibility. This classic collar is crafted from top-grain Argentinean leather, which gets softer and more distinguished with age. Burnished brass hardware completes the look.
- Available in 5 sizes and 2 colors
- Matching leash available
Things To Consider
- Braided leather is more prone to stretching. Periodically check the fit to ensure it remains ideal for your dog.
Best Vibrant Color Leather Dog Collar
Some dogs have large personalities, so why shouldn’t a leather collar match their spunkiness? Available in tons of hues (both bright and subtle), this Logical Leather dog collar adds a pop of color to your dog’s neck and will turn heads at the dog park.
The premium metal hardware enhances the genuine leather material, and the sheepskin lining provides extra comfort. Expect to be asked, “Where did you get that?” whenever your dog takes her daily walks.
- Genuine leather with sheepskin lining for soft wear
- Metal hardware
- Available in a variety of colors
- Functional and comfortable so dogs feel as good as they look
Things To Consider
- Width increases with the size of the collar (ex: XL is wider than XS)
Best Leather Dog Collar With Bling
Looking for something to match your pup’s sparkly disposition? Try a blingy rhinestone leather dog collar!
We’re especially fond of this detail-oriented design from OmniPet. Available in an impressive array of 8 colors—including super-snazzy shimmered gold—it features color-matched double-stitching for added style and durability. Polished chrome hardware adds the extra “extra.”
Plus, at a super affordable price point, you can buy multiple colors for wardrobe changes.
- Available in 8 colors and 4 sizes
- Sparkly rhinestone detail
- Attractive price point
Things To Consider
- This collar’s half-inch width may not be appropriate for larger dogs.
Best Vegan Leather Dog Collar
If you like the look of leather but don’t wear animal products, consider a vegan leather collar instead. Made from synthetic materials, these faux options are animal-friendly, easy to clean, and waterproof.
This chic vegan leather collar features a printed design and luxe gold hardware. Our favorite part? The matching “friendship bracelet” for you to wear! Because nothing says best buds like coordinating outfits.
- Collar available in 3 sizes (bracelet is one-size-fits-all)
- Printed design
- PETA-approved materials
Things To Consider
- Vegan leather is generally not as durable as genuine leather, and may show signs of wear and cracking sooner.