13 Best Pet Odor Eliminators For Your Household
Sharing life with pets brings incredible joy, but adorable dogs and cats also come with their fair share of odors.
Whether you share your heart and home with a new puppy, an adopted adult cat, or a dog whose paws leave tell-tale prints behind, pet odor eliminators are must-haves in any pet household.
Fortunately, I’ve tried the majority of pet odor eliminators available these days and amassed a list of the hits while eliminating the misses. Just because the odor says “best dog deodorizing spray” or “best pet enzymatic cleaner” doesn’t mean they are effective. In fact, we encourage you to peruse our list of the best pet odor eliminators and spend your dollars wisely.
In addition to first-hand experience with these products, we also considered a variety of other factors from safety to consumer reviews and much more. Here are our top product picks for best pet odor eliminators.
Our Top Pet Odor Eliminators
- Best Overall: Angry Orange Pet Odor Eliminator
- Best Odor-Eliminating Air Purifier: Shark Air Purifier MAX with True HEPA
- Best for Whole Home Odor Removal: Colorfil Air Filters
- Best Deep Carpet Cleaner for Pet Homes: Shark® CarpetXpert with Stainstriker Carpet Cleaner Ultimate True Pet Package
- Best for Pet Odors and Pet Stains: Kinderbean No-Stress Mess Eraser
- Best Professional Strength: Rocco & Roxie Professional Strength Stain Odor Eliminator
- Best Enzymatic Cleaner: Nature’s Miracle Dog Stain and Odor Remover
- Best for Litter Box Odors: Arm & Hammer Cat Litter Deodorizer
- Best Continuous Spray: Simple Solution Pet Urine Destroyer
- Best for Carpets: MisterMax Anti-Icky-Poo Odor Remover
- Best for Portable Carpet Cleaners: Bissell Pet Spot & Stain
- Best Dog Deodorizing Spray: TropiClean Deodorizing Pet Spray
- Best for Outdoor Odors: Simple Green Outdoor Odor Eliminator for Pets
Why Pet Odors Cause A Big Stink
Learning to train a puppy to pee and poop outside is something most pet parents will encounter in their lives. While a dog is being housetrained, there will be indoor accidents. Urine odors can linger and if not properly cleaned will not completely go away.
Puppies and adult dogs who have indoor accidents will often return to the same spot again and again. This is why a pet enzymatic cleaner with safe ingredients is important to use on the stain and odor.
If your dog has ever scooted across the floor, you know that fishy trail stink that is left behind. Anal sac material carries with it one of the most pungent odors on the planet.
Sometimes dogs and cats may have urinary tract infections, anal gland problems, and yeast infections of the paws or skin that cause unpleasant smells. Or our pets simply emit natural odors from their bodies. For these reasons, we recommend always having safe deodorizing products handy so you can stop pet odors in their tracks.
How We Ranked Our Top Pet Odor Eliminators
Over the course of several dogs and several decades, there aren’t many odor eliminators I haven’t tried. If a product has toxic chemicals, negative reviews, or could harm me or my dog, I won’t allow it in my home or on my floors, carpeting, and the dog’s paws.
In order to make our list, we looked at all of the variables mentioned above—from safe ingredients to reviews—and coupled that with real-life testing. We tried these products on various odors and different situations. We sprayed them on carpeting, poured them in a litter box, and misted one onto our dog’s fur.
Cost is also an important factor. Many products these days provide pet parents more bang for their buck with a “less is more” philosophy. Our overall winner did not require much product to produce outstanding pet odor and stain elimination.
All featured products are chosen at the discretion of the author. However, Vetstreet may make a small affiliate commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Best Pet Odor Eliminator: Overall Winner
Our pick: Angry Orange Pet Odor Eliminator
Hands down and paws down, the best-smelling and most effective pet odor eliminator is Angry Orange. Because it is made with the oil found in orange peels, it is both biodegradable and non-toxic. This can be sprayed in the air but serves multiple purposes in kennels, on yard surfaces (think dog urine baking in the hot sun on grass), and anywhere else pet odors are a problem. Of course, none of these products should be sprayed directly on pets unless otherwise indicated.
The company’s tagline is “Smells like heaven, works like he*l,” and it is safe to use around pets and kids. I’ve actually placed a small spray bottle in my bathroom and used it in the car a few years back to eliminate a wet dog smell. It can be sprayed on carpet, hard surfaces, fabric, or into the air.
We love that this is available in both a concentrated formula that you can mix on your own or as a pre-mixed spray. So you can choose which is the most convenient for you!
Angry Orange makes a lot of promises in its advertising and those promises are delivered every time I’ve used it. One 32-ounce bottle of Angry Orange concentrate version makes four 32-ounce bottles when diluted with water, which is the proper way to use it in pet households for odor elimination.
- Can be used as often as you like for bad smells.
- Can be used outside to eliminate urine and barn smells.
- Can be purchased full-strength or as a concentrate to be mixed with water.
- Made in the USA.
Things To Consider
- For those not fond of a strong orange scent, this product should be avoided.
- Also available in a pet odor and stain eliminator.
Best Odor-Eliminating Air Purifier
Our pick: Shark Air Purifier MAX with True HEPA
This air purifier not only keeps the air clean in your home, but also helps keep smells (yes, including pet smells) at bay thanks to its HEPA filter with odor protection. It’s designed to purify spaces up to 1200 square feet and catches 99.98 percent of particles like pet hair, dander, and allergens. The Clean Sense IQ technology tracks air quality and adjusts automatically to ensure your air is as pristine as possible.
- Purifies up to 1200 square feet
- HEPA filter with odor protection catches 99.98 percent of particles
- Quiet yet powerful MicroForce technology
- Auto-adjust Clean Sense IQ technology tracks air quality
Things to Consider
- Higher price point
- Filters should be replaced every 6 to 12 months
Best for Whole Home Odor Removal
Our pick: Colorfil Air Filters
Use the code LOVEMYPET to save 20% off your order.
Spot cleaning and deodorizing can help dispel site-specific pet odors. But what if your whole home smells doggy or you’re battling that ever-present cat aroma? In that case, Colorfil air filters can help combat bad smells throughout your entire home…without all that scrubbing, spraying, or elbow grease! Colorfil air filters neutralize pervasive pet smells — as well as chemicals, allergens, and other household odors — on a molecular level to clean and purify the air in your home. The space-age filter material (literally!) was developed in partnership with NASA to ensure air quality for astronauts. As a result, Colorfil air filters are five times more effective at removing odors and toxins than the leading air filter brand, while also killing harmful viruses, bacteria, and mold. Plus, these “smart” filters change color as they absorb odors, so you know exactly when to change your HVAC filter for optimal air quality and a home that smells fresh and clean…not like your dog or cat.
- 5x more effective than leading brand against common pet issues, including odor, dander, bacteria
- Color-shift technology changes to indicate when filter should be replaced
- Made with award-winning, NASA-backed advanced materials
- MERV (Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value) of 8, which is higher than most standard air filters
- Portion of every sale donated to local animals in need
- Subscribe and save option available
- Made in the USA
Things to Consider
- Replacement frequency varies from 2 weeks to 4 months, depending on air quality of your home
- Wide variety of sizes (including custom) available; measure carefully to ensure you purchase the right size
- Best if used in conjunction with other spot cleaning solutions
Best Deep Carpet Cleaner for Pet Homes
Sometimes advanced cleaning technologies are necessary to tackle tough pet odors and stains embedded deep in your carpeting. Our 19-month-old Cocker Spaniel contributed his fair share of residual odors and marks on our rugs. The Shark® CarpetXpert with Stainstriker Carpet Cleaner got to work throughout our residence with its dual-cleaner mixture and powerful suction, eradicating even the most stubborn dog-stained areas.
This unit is an all-in-solution to cleaning carpets, upholstery, stairs, and isolated stains. Assembly of the handle and accessories onto the unit was easy and complete in a few minutes. Before cleaning, I vacuumed our carpets and let this latest Shark model work its magic. It tackled everything from old pee stains to odors deep within the fibers.
I dread cleaning up muddy paw stains and ‘just rolled in’ odors that linger long after I bathe my dog. However, the CarpetXpert with Stainstriker tackled everything in its path. The PowerWash spray is powerful enough to remove hidden stains and odors. Drying time was cut in half compared to other carpet cleaner brands I’ve tried. No more oversoaking the carpets or waiting overnight for the rugs to dry.
I love that when I got to our steps, the CarpetXpert served as a 2-in-1 machine with removable on-board parts. Pet parents looking for a powerful, versatile carpet cleaner should welcome Shark’s CarpetXpert with Stainstriker for harsh odor and stain elimination.
- Onboard, handheld spot and stain remover to easily clean furniture, stairs, car flooring, and more
- Powerful suction and fast drying time
- PowerWash high-pressure spray gets deep into carpeting
- High-speed brush roll breaks up stains and odors
- Double down on odors and stains by adding Oxy Multiplier and Deep Clean concentrate products to the tank
- Easy to move and handle
Things to Consider
- The tank is a bit on the smaller side, making emptying and refilling more frequent.
- Cleanup of the machine takes about 10 to 15 minutes
- Be sure to patch-test an area of your rug first
Best for Pet Odors and Pet Stains
Our pick: Kinderbean No-Stress Mess Eraser
To stop repeat peeing offenders in their tracks, it’s important to remove all signs (and smells) of past indiscretions. But noted pet expert, blogger, and pet parent Kristen Levine noticed that some enzymatic cleaners make it difficult for pet parents to really saturate the stain. That’s why she created Kinderbean No-Stress Mess Eraser.
Unlike some spray bottles, which tend to break easily or disperse cleaners over only the surface of a stain, No Stress Mess Eraser features a durable, easy-to-use squirt top that concentrates the formula where you need it most.
Fully saturating the stain ensures that this all-natural enzyme-powered cleaner starts working on contact to completely remove visible pet stains, while “eating” the odor-causing bacteria that cause a stink.
There’s no mixing required, so it’s easy to use. And Kinderbean’s bio-enzymatic formula is sustainable, safe for pets, and safe for the earth. Plus, it has a pleasant scent that won’t overwhelm you or your pets–refreshing grapefruit with notes of tea tree oil.
As an added bonus, Kinderbean does double duty as a potent stain cleaner and a powerful additive to your pet’s laundry. You can use it to freshen their collars, leashes, bedding, and plush toys.
- Created by pet industry expert, Kristen Levine
- Sturdy squirt-top applicators hold up better compared to spray bottles
- The non-toxic blend is safe and gentle for pets and the earth
- The subtle scent is pleasing to people and not harmful to pets
Things to Consider
- Price is comparable to other odor eliminators, but there’s a significant cost savings when you buy a 2-pack
Best Professional Strength Pet Odor Eliminator
When dog sitting for a friend a few years ago, my dog and her dog got into a battle for who could mark their scent the most times on my living room rug. I had a bottle of Rocco & Roxie Stain & Odor Eliminator on hand and decided to try it. It completely eliminated the stink and the stain in seven different areas without harmful chemicals.
Enzymes are key in this product, which start working on contact and actually work to break down the stink and stain. Most magnificent of all, cleaning took minutes, didn’t require a lot of elbow grease, and it is safe to use on carpets, floors, kennels, furniture, and even clothing.
To use, you simply blot the stain (in my case, urine) as much as possible first. After pouring a few ounces of warm water on the accident area, absorb the stain again and repeat a few times. The more urine you extract through diluting and extracting, the better. Spray the cleaner on the stain or odor and wait about 10 minutes.
Once the area is dried, you simply vacuum over it and inspect it. The odor completely disappeared seven times over from my rug—and the stain was gone, too!
- Seal of Approval by the trusted Carpet and Rug Institute (CRI).
- Gentle and safe around kids and pets.
- Nicely priced.
- Chlorine-free and color-safe.
- Anywhere pet odors happen, this product can be applied (except on your pet – never apply to your pet’s skin or fur).
- Enzymes break down the odor until it is eliminated.
Things To Consider
- Older stains require an overnight treatment.
- Some say the smell of the product is a bit strong, but we didn’t mind it.
Best Enzymatic Cleaner For Pets
This bacteria-based formula uses enzymes to target urine, feces, vomit, and other pet stains and odors. This is the perfect go-to in a pinch when your pet has an oops moment. This Nature’s Miracle product will continue to work as long as the odor or stain is present. I’ve used it on carpets, my kitchen tiles, even on a curtain a dog urinated on when he visited my home.
Because the sole purpose of this post is to spotlight our favorite pet odor eliminators, Nature’s Miracle works to first remove the stink and then cast a light citrus scent over it. It isn’t a powerful scent.
After wiping up the stain or upon finding the pet odor, soak it with Nature’s Miracle. The enzymatic cleaner takes about 10 minutes before you need to blot it with a clean cloth. The area should be left to dry for 24 hours. Over and over, this product never disappoints to remove an odor pets leave behind.
- Saturation is important with this product so the odor can be deeply penetrated.
- The odor will fade as the product dries.
- Money-back guarantee
- When used and stored as directed, it is safe for use around pets.
Things To Consider
- Older, more stubborn stains require a longer process including saturating a towel with water for up to two hours after applying Nature’s Miracle.
- Available in many different formulas and variations for both dog and cat odors.
Best Litter Box Deodorizer
Our pick: Arm & Hammer Cat Litter Deodorizer
Cats use the litter box, and the litterbox produces odors strong enough to knock over a zombie. Fortunately, my dog and I are friends with a lot of cat parents, so we asked several to share their favorite cat litter deodorizer and why.
Time and again, this product from Arm & Hammer was the frontrunner. Aside from the power of baking soda, you simply sprinkle a layer in when changing the box or between cleaning for a bit of a feline spruce up. The smell is light and not overpowering, and the baking soda removes any lingering odors. Plus, it is safe for cats.
An added bonus to this product is its ability to prevent urine clumps from sticking to the litter box, which means less work when cleaning up. According to Arm & Hammer, each time a cat uses the litter box, the moisture-activated scent is released. It can be used with any litter including clay, scoopable, natural, scented, or unscented.
- Lab tests demonstrated lower odor levels after nine days versus litter alone.
- Great for multiple cat households.
- Very mild scent, not overpowering.
- Small granules mix easily with litter to distribute evenly throughout.
- Product goes a long way for the price.
Things To Consider
- Honestly, most reviews are really positive. We don’t have any things to note!
Best Continuous Spray Urine and Stain Eliminator
Our Pick: Simple Solution Pet Urine Destroyer
Imagine a continuous spray pet urine destroyer that is safe to use on all colorfast carpets. Simple Solution’s Urine Destroyer is safe to use on carpet, upholstery, bedding, toys, fabric, clothing, and other water-safe surfaces in your home when used as directed. The enzymatic formula neutralizes the toughest urine odors so dogs won’t re-mark an area.
Because the product penetrates deep into the odor source, urine proteins are broken down. The continuous spray makes it easy to tackle tough stains and odors, saving your back from bending down and scrubbing.
- Removes the odor instead of simply masking it
- Safe to use around children and pets when used as directed
- Certified by the Carpet and Rug Institute
- Made in the United States
- Works on pet stains and odors
Things To Consider
- Test for color steadfastness for 24 hours on a small, hidden area of carpeting before applying to a wider area.
- Vacuum area thoroughly after following directions and the product dries
Best Pet Odor Eliminator For Carpets
Our pick: MisterMax Anti-Icky-Poo Odor Remover
A few years back, I asked my dog’s veterinarian how he kept his place smelling fresh. He showed me a bottle of MisterMax Anti-Icky-Poo Odor Remover. Since my dog’s veterinarian used it, I had to give it a try.
He used it for diaper pails, directly on his rug, and to eliminate the scent of cat urine when his kitty missed the litter box.
When my first Cocker Spaniel had a bout of diarrhea, I was able to eliminate the stain but could not seem to eradicate the odor. MisterMax was so simple to use and wiped out the stink thanks to its enzymatic properties.
- Environmentally friendly and pet safe.
- MisterMax has been around since 1984 and is used by veterinary professionals.
- Doesn’t mask the scent—removes it.
- Works on any organic waste scent include urine, vomit, feces, and even smoke.
Things To Consider
- If applying directly to the carpet, ensure you get the product deep down into the carpet padding.
- Safe for wood surfaces, but always pre-test a spot.
Best for Portable Carpet Cleaners
Our Pick: Bissell Pet Spot & Stain
This formula from Bissell is designed to be used with portable carpet cleaners and helps to deliver a deep clean and superior odor and stain removal. It’s made with biodegradable detergents and doesn’t contain heavy metals, phosphates or dyes, so it’s safe to use around pets. We like this cleaning option because it removes odors relating to urine, vomit, and the dreaded poop on the carpet. You can also use it to clean upholstery in your home or in the car.
- Great at neutralizing odors—doesn’t just mask them
- Doesn’t contain heavy metals, phosphates or dyes
- Multi-use solution that can be used for many pet messes
- Bissell give back to pets in need with every purchase
Things to Consider
- Meant to be used in a portable carpet cleaner, not on its own
- You should do a spot test before attempting to clean a full area
Best Dog Deodorizing Spray
Our pick: TropiClean Deodorizing Pet Spray
In between baths or after rolling in something at the park, a pet-safe deodorizing spray comes in handy. Designed to be used on your dog, TropiClean’s line of deodorizing pet sprays eliminate odor from things like skunk, urine, rabbit poo, vomit, and glandular secretions.
Cocker Spaniels tend to have sensitive skin, but I feel safe spritzing this on my dog’s coat and working it through his fur and onto his skin. The smell is not overpowering but actually seems to help my dog get through until bathtime. You can also spritz it lightly on your dog after he’s had his bath.
It contains no soap, no detergents, and is available in a variety of scents like berry breeze and lime and coconut. It can help reduce static and adds a nice moisturizing touch to the skin.
- Cruelty-free and not tested on animals.
- Can be used on dogs, cats, ferrets, hamsters, rabbits, and other small animals.
- Paraben and dye-free.
- Conditions the coat as it soothes skin.
- Great for road trips, vacations, or before guests visit.
Things To Consider
- If pets show an allergic reaction, discontinue use immediately
- Some online reviewers say they wish the scent lasted longer—but we still think it does the trick!
Best Outdoor Pet Odor Eliminator
If pet odors are taking over your yard, deck, or patio, this natural outdoor odor eliminator is essential for removing the smell. As a best-selling product on Amazon, Simple Green is effective at eliminating odor from urine, stool, or vomit in your yard or outdoor space. It is safe to use on lawns, decks, artificial grass, and patios and uses natural enzymes to neutralize odors. To use it, simply connect the spray bottle to a garden hose, turn on the water, and rinse away the stink!
- It has a fresh scent that isn’t overwhelming
- Uses natural enzymes to get rid of odors
- Safe to use on a variety of outdoor surfaces
- Easy to connect to a hose
Things to Consider
- If you have a large yard or area to treat, you’ll run through the bottle quickly
- You will have to treat the area on a regular basis to keep pet odors at bay
Pet Odor Eliminator Buying Guide
When you’re shopping for a pet odor removal product, it’s helpful to know the types that are available and what you should consider and look for before you check out. Here are a few tips.
Pet Odor Eliminators: What To Look For
When you reach for a potential pet odor eliminator or find one of interest online, flip the bottle or container around and read the label’s ingredients. Here are some key pointers to help you find the most effective and safe products to fight dog and cat odors:
Ingredients: Do not use anything with formaldehyde, isopropyl alcohol, phenols, or bleach to clean stains or attempt pet odor elimination. The health and safety of your pets is worth understanding the ingredients in odor eliminators.
Safety Testing: The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) encourages pet parents to use EPA-registered products with the EPA’s Safer Choice Label, which are considered to be less harmful. Some brands will tout studies and proof of safety testing on their label or “EPA registered” text.
Some products meet the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s BioPreferred program standards and can display the USDA BioPreferred label on their products.
Environmental Friendliness: Many pet parents want pet odors to disappear without causing harm to the environment. Some odor eliminators are plant-based and contain natural extracts or cultures.
Ease of Use: Gone are the days of lugging a heavy shampoo machine into your home to get rid of pet odors on the carpet. Pets should not be inhaling unnecessary scents while traipsing through damp or wet chemically-treated areas. Today’s modern pet parent demands a product that gets the job done safely, efficiently, and with a minimal amount of time spent.
Reviews: Read through the verified reviews. What do people say about pet odor eliminators, deodorizers, and cleaners? Consider the cleaners that have the best overall feedback.
Types of Pet Odor Eliminators
There are a variety of pet odor removal products and each of them have a different function and level of effectiveness. Here are the most common types:
Spot Cleaners: Pet spot cleaners are the most common type of odor eliminators available. They are usually liquid cleaners found in spray bottles and they help to eliminate stains as well odors. These cleaners typically work on a variety of surfaces. You simply have to spray them on the affected area, let them sit, and then blot them up with a paper towel or rag. Spot cleaners are convenient and easy to use for a variety of pet stains.
Gel and Foam Cleaners: These pet odor eliminators are typically squeezed onto a stain or odor-prone area and generally have to be worked into a soft surface with a brush. Many products come with an attached brush that will do the trick. These cleaners are generally meant for carpets, rugs, and upholstery.
Machine Cleaners: There are a variety of odor eliminator products that are designed to be used with portable carpet cleaners or floor steamers. You should follow instructions to ensure that the cleaner you choose works with your machine.
Deodorizing Sprays and Wipes: These sprays and wipes are kind of like perfume for pets and are made with safe ingredients so that you can spritz them or wipe them directly on your dog or cat’s fur. Deodorizing sprays and wipes are a good option for keeping your pet smelling clean between grooming appointments or baths.
Candles and Air Fresheners: In a pinch, candles and air fresheners can help to mask pet odors in your home, but they aren’t likely to get rid of the scent completely. It’s important to look for pet-safe air fresheners and make sure they remain out of reach of dogs and cats in the home.
Pet Odor Eliminator FAQs
How do pet odor eliminators work?
Enzymatic cleaners break the odor down so that it disappears without harmful chemicals. Most enzymatic pet cleaners target stains in addition to odors. After color testing with an enzymatic pet odor eliminator, the offending material and odor should be gone.
Pet odor eliminators for carpets should safely neutralize the smell so pets are discouraged from relieving themselves in the same spot. Odor eliminators for the home include sprays, atomizers, candles, oils, misters, and plug-ins. But picking safe options is essential. Prying paws and wagging tails may knock candles over and plug-ins are tempting to curious puppies and bored dogs.
Pet-safe deodorizers are handy for in-between baths and like all pet odor eliminators should be non-toxic and safe for people and pets.
How do you remove pet urine odor from a carpet?
To remove pet urine odor from a carpet, it’s best to use an enzymatic cleaner. This type of cleaner will help to break up and neutralize odors. For best results, soak up as much of the urine as possible using paper towels. Then, spray the enzymatic cleaner on the carpet and let it soak (follow the manufacturer instructions for timing). Finally, blot up the cleaner from the carpet to help pull any remaining stains and smells out. You may need to treat the area twice for strong odors or stains.
Do air purifiers remove pet odor?
Air purifiers can help to remove pet odors from the air. However, they have to include an activated carbon filter. This type of filter is the only one that will trap pet odors. Other filters may remove pet dander from the air, but won’t help to control odors in the environment.
Will professional carpet cleaning remove pet odors?
Most professional carpet cleaning services will have a pet-odor removal program or offering and reputable services will ensure pet odors are removed following a cleaning. Professional cleaning may be a good option for old stains and odors or hard-to-treat problems. However, these services are expensive and not optimal for everyday pet odor removal. Having a household pet odor eliminator on hand will be useful between professional cleanings.