Video: How You Can Help Turtles Hibernate
Published on November 03, 2014
This fall, wild turtles could use your help. Box turtles begin their winter hibernation in mid- to late-fall, and if you have a yard, you can provide your local box turtles with a hibernation habitat. In this video, wildlife expert Caroline Seitz shows you how.
One important thing to keep in mind is that if you have a dog or cat who goes in the yard, you’ll want to create the turtle habitat far from your house. Not only will this give the turtle safety and privacy, but it will also help prevent flea infestations by keeping organic debris like branches and leaves away from your house.
More on Vetstreet:
- How Can You Tell If Your Pet Is Bored?
- Dog Helps Save Endangered Sea Turtle
- 5 Cat Care Mistakes You’re Probably Making
- Pro Tips for Keeping Snakes Out of Your House
- Best & Worst Fruits and Vegetable Treats for Pets