2001-Thu Jan 19 16:35:14 MST 2017
Vetstreet. All rights reserved.
Vetstreet does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. See Additional Information ›
1. Text: We're pretty sure your cat or
dog would text you to pick up treats on the way home. And, also to ask when you're coming home. And, if you're bringing treats.
2. Hitchhike: Maybe your
cat or dog fancies a vacation in a more exotic (or just warmer) locale. With the ability to hitchhike, he could make that dream come true. Long weekend in Florida, anyone?
3. Play Thumb War: Since your pet would be able to text (see #1), he would probably want to invite his friends over for a rousing game of thumb war. It might even turn into a tournament — in which case he will
definitely need you to bring home more treats.
4. Open containers: With opposable thumbs, he could get his own treats out — although he would still need you to buy them for him. Fortunately, he'd be able to text you a reminder when he was running low (see #1).
5. Gymnastics: Cats are already super acrobatic, but with opposable thumbs your cat would be even more so! She could do cartwheels, backflips, handstands and more. Hey, she might even get so good that she starts to dream about being the first feline to win Olympic gold. It could happen!
6. Use the TV remote: Leaving the TV on for your pets when you're gone is a nice gesture — but, what if they don't want to watch Animal Planet all day? With opposable thumbs, your dog or
cat could flip to ESPN or NatGeo or that weird channel that just shows fish swimming all the time. Whatever makes him happy!
7. Download apps: Pet not into TV? Maybe he's more of a gamer. If he had thumbs, he could download apps on your smartphone or tablet — think Angry
Neko Atsume — or maybe just kick back and play
Catlateral Damage on your computer.
8. Shop online: Speaking of using your computer, your pet could put his thumbs to work buying things online. Who wouldn't want new chew toys delivered to straight to the door? And, then you could teach him to order his own snacks and stop texting you all the time!
What do you think
your pets might do with opposable thumbs?
More from Vetstreet:
Like this article? Have a point of view to share? Let us know!
Take our breed quiz to find your next pet.
Get all the best pet news and information sent right to your inbox!
Thank you for subscribing!
Want to choose the best food for your
pet? Here's why you shouldn't fear
preservatives or fall for marketing…
Electronic cigarettes may be growing in
popularity, but their higher concentrations
of nicotine can poison cats and…
Are you handling your pet the right way?
Our vet shares five things your pup wishes
you knew about picking him up.
We combed through 505,270 kitten
names to determine the hottest male
and female monikers of the year.
We scoured our database of 1.1 million
dogs to find out which male and female
monikers reigned supreme this past…
The laid-back American Wirehair’s crimped, coarse coat requires almost no brushing or combing.
Check out our collection of more than 250 videos about pet training, animal behavior, dog and cat breeds and more.
Wonder which dog or cat best fits your lifestyle? Our new tool will narrow down more than 300 breeds for you.
If the video doesn't start playing momentarily,
please install the latest version of Flash.
Thank you for subscribing.