Fruits and veggies can be healthy and inexpensive treats or snacks for your dog, but some of these foods can be downright dangerous. The wrong snack can cause vomiting, stomach upset or worse for your canine. So before you head to the produce aisle, check out our photo gallery of fruits and vegetables you should never give your dog.
As always, consult with your vet before giving any new food items to your pet, especially if he has any medical problems, and keep treats and snacks of any sort to a minimum.
Onions, Garlic, Leeks or Chives
Onions, garlic, leeks and chives, which are all members of the Allium genus, can damage healthy red
blood cells, leading to life-threatening anemia. Cooking these household
staples won’t make them any less toxic, so leave them out of your pet’s diet no
matter how they’re prepared.
Grapes or Raisins
Grapes and raisins may look harmless, but they can cause
illness and kidney damage in dogs. Clinical signs can occur within 24 hours of
eating and include, vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy.
Feeding your pup a raw potato can be risky, especially if it
has any green parts or sprouts. Potatoes contain solanin, a toxin that can
cause drooling, vomiting, diarrhea and severe stomach upset.
Wild mushrooms can be pretty, but they can also be deadly for
dogs. Symptoms of mushroom poisoning can range from vomiting and hallucinating
to liver failure and death. There are many different species of mushrooms and toxicity levels differ, so to be safe, keep your animal away from all
Apple Cores With Seeds and Stems
It's fine for your dog to eat an apple slice or two,
but don’t give him the core. The core can include apple seeds, stems and leaves, which contain
cyanide, a toxin that can cause dilated pupils, panting, difficulty breathing
and shock. You’ll also want to be cautious about other fruits with seeds, such as watermelon — offer only the fruit, not the seeds, stems or leaves.
Stone fruits like peaches, nectarines, plums and cherries are
not safe for dogs — their pits can be choking hazards. And choking isn't the only problem with these
fruits: The stems, leaves and pits of apricots, plums, peaches and
If you’re making a rhubarb pie, make sure you carefully
dispose of the leaves. The leaves of a rhubarb plant are toxic to pets and can
cause kidney failure and tremors.
Vetstreet.com delivers advice from veterinarians, trainers and pet experts who are dedicated to giving you the most trusted, authoritative information for keeping pets healthy and happy. Our Find A Vet service connects you with leading veterinarians in your area. Launched in 2011, Vetstreet.com features veterinarian-reviewed medical advice and has quickly become one of the top animal health and lifestyle sites on the web. See more.